It has always been an issue on how best to stay safe in our environment especially in work places coupled with the fact that jobs are much demanding and hectic.
You can’t talk of safety if there is no likelihood of an accident occurring either before, during / or after.
Accident is an unplanned happenstance that occurred as a result mistake, carelessness, or even negligence of a staff(s) in a company. The accident may give rise to small / minor injuries or may lead to death as the case may be.
By WHO standard, ‘Occupational health (your safety and your job) should aim at the promotion and maintenance of the degree of physical, mental and social well-being of workers in all occupations; the prevention amongst workers departures from good health caused by their working conditions; the protection of workers in their employment from risks resulting from factors adverse to health; the placing and maintenance of the worker in an occupational environment adapted to his physiological and psychological capabilities; and, to summarize, the adaptation of work to man and of each man to his job’.
The type and severity of the accident is dependent on:
- Your work type (i.e your job function). Sedentary jobs have minimal accidents attached to them.
- The nature of your work environment: Is where you work fitted and up-to-date with the necessary safety gadgets?
- How prompt the accident victim gets a medical attention and treatment
- Safety skills you have.
- Level of noise pollution in the work place.
These factors can cause serious accidents in work places:
- Fire and Explosions (especially in mines and oil companies)
- Vehicle accident (especially involving heavy trucks)
- Falls (especially walking on slippery surfaces and wet terrains)
- Air tight offices
- Negligence / carelessness / feeling sleepy or dizzy while working with heavy equipments like crushers, mixers, etc.
- Poor knowledge of your equipments.
The way out (Remedies)
- Be H.S.E compliant and up-to-date.
- When at work place, be well kitted.
- Sound the alarm in case of an accident.